Powered by Blogger.

Monday, January 25, 2010

The Harm Our Words Can Cause

There is an old saying that I remember from my elementary school days. Whenever someone would say something bad to another person, that person would reply, “sticks and stones my break my bones, but words will never hurt me”. Those words were very brave coming from a first or second grader. I know personally deep down inside that wasn’t true. I know words can wound a person emotionally much like stones can hurt physically. Perhaps in some ways the words do more damage than stones. Physical wounds heal over time, but sometimes emotional wounds last a lifetime.

I’ve been called names because I didn’t fit in with what my peers thought I should be. At other times I was made fun of because people didn’t like the way I looked.

One of the worst things that can happen to a young person is for an authority figure to ridicule them in front of their peers. I can recall two incidents from my past.

The first was in eighth grade science. The teacher discovered that I was embarrassed easily. At every opportunity that presented itself she was sure to call attention to my blushing. Each time this happened, I just wanted to crawl in a hole and pull it in on top of me.

The second time was in ninth grade civics class. The teacher told me to shut one of the windows. When I got up from my desk and walked toward the window, she said, “You sure are moving slow!”

Quite naturally the entire class had a good laugh out of these experiences. I was so humiliated by both of these teachers and neither one of them cared. Thinking back on those two experiences, I wonder why they were so intent on tearing a young person down instead of building them up? I was extremely insecure growing up and that just fueled the flames. I think this says a lot about how these teachers saw themselves. People make fun of others to cover up their own insecurities and make themselves feel better.

How humiliating can it be for an insecure teen to be put down in front of his classmates by someone he looks up to? Neither one of them was calling me names, but they were definitely throwing emotional sticks and stones. Over thirty years later they still hurt.

When I was in the first grade, I snuck up behind one of my classmates intending to pull a prank on him. Startling him, his elbow came back and hit me in the mouth. There was pain and blood, but I had forgotten all about this physical wound until I began writing this post.

A couple years ago, I had a wreck on my bicycle. Besides my pride being hurt, I was extremely stiff and sore for a while. I have thought much more about the pain inflicted by the two teachers instead of the aches and pains of a bike wreck.

When parents throw these “sticks and stones” the humiliation just can’t get any worse. I’ve seen parents of small children yelling curse words at them that just made my blood boil. On one occasion, I witnessed a mother give a 3 or 4 year old a tongue lashing just because he was slow getting into a van. Just because the child was an inconvenience to her, he received a cursing that no self-respecting adult would have tolerated. When a child that age is humiliated by a parent, how can he even be expected to grow up to be a self-respecting adult, much less someone who respects others?

One study showed that verbally abused children are twice as likely to develop mood or anxiety disorders. They also showed 60 percent more symptoms of depression and anxiety.

Another one has shown that verbal abuse can hurt just as much as nondomestic physical and sexual abuse.

Just like a sledgehammer can be used to tear down a brick wall in a matter of minutes, emotional sledgehammers can tear a person down even quicker. It takes much longer to rebuild a wall than it takes to tear it down and it can take years for kind words and deeds to undo the damage caused by harsh words.

Sometimes these “sledgehammers” can cause wounds so bad that they never heal. According to an editorial in The Freeport News: “A few years ago in the United States, a 12-year-old boy committed suicide after constantly being teased in school. Since then there have been several reports of suicides allegedly as a result of children being teased. On an international television talk show, many other teens admitted to having thoughts of suicide because of constant verbal abuse from their peers and also parents.”

How sad that young people take their own lives just because someone is so determined to tear them down with words.

I mentioned the two teachers who tore me down with their words. There is another occasion that I remember when I was a little older. I was going through a difficult time in my teen years with a lot of depression. My sister and I were sitting in a hospital waiting room while our parents visited a sick relative when a stranger walked up to us. He was a rather large man who reminded me of one of those professional wrestlers on TV. He said, “Do you know that God loves you?” Those kind words were enough to lift my depression if only for a few minutes. I can still remember the relief I felt.

Words truly can hurt, but they can also heal. Let’s choose our words carefully.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Inspirational Quotes

  • "Today is not yesterday: we ourselves change; how can our works and thoughts, if they are always to be the fittest, continue always the same? Change indeed is painful; yet ever needful; and if Memory have its force and worth, so also has Hope." -- Thomas Carlyle
  • "I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self." -- Aristotle
  • "One must never lose time in vainly regretting the past or in complaining against the changes which cause us discomfort, for change is the essence of life." -- Anatole France
  • Never give in... never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force... never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. ~Winston Churchill
  • Problems are only opportunities with thorns on them. ~Hugh Miller, Snow on the Wind
  • "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." -- C. S. Lewis
  • I am bigger than anything that can happen to me. All these things, sorrow, misfortune, and suffering, are outside my door. I am in the house and I have the key. -- Charles Fletcher Lummis
  • The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.-- Dolly Parton
  • "If you take responsibility for yourself you will develop a hunger to accomplish your dreams." -- Les Brown
  • "We are like tea bags -- we don't know our own strength until we're in hot water." -- Sister Busche
  • "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." -- Elbert Hubbard

Quotes On Grief

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love." - Washington Irving

"He that conceals his grief finds no remedy for it." - Turkish Proverb

Grief is a tidal wave that over takes you,smashes down upon you with unimaginable force,sweeps you up into its darkness,where you tumble and crash against unidentifiable surfaces,only to be thrown out on an unknown beach, bruised, reshaped...Grief will make a new person out of you,if it doesn't kill you in the making.- Stephanie Ericsson

Tears have a wisdom all their own. They come when a person has relaxed enough to let go and to work through his sorrow. They are the natural bleeding of an emotional wound, carrying the poison out of the system. Here lies the road to recovery. - F. Alexander Magoun

Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see. - Helen Keller

So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.
Helen Keller

Grief and sadness knits two hearts in closer bonds than happiness ever can; and common sufferings are far stronger than common joys.
Alphonse de Lamartine

Favorite Helen Keller Quotes

  • When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.-- Helen Keller
  • Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.-- Helen Keller
  • The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.-- Helen Keller
  • No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.-- Helen Keller
  • I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.-- Helen Keller
  • Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.-- Helen Keller
  • All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming.-- Helen Keller

My Anniversary

Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Visitors

Registerd & Protected

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
LoneWolf - Find me on Bloggers.com

  © Blogger template 'Ultimatum' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP