Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Introduction

A few days ago, that old classic movie “The Wizard Of Oz” was on TV again. How many times have all of us watched Dorothy click her heals together and say “There’s no place like home”? I recently spent the night with a friend and had an enjoyable time, but there was nothing like coming back home to my own bed. There truly is no place like home.


Two of the most important factors in any home are the Mother and Father. Without them, I don’t believe you can really have a “Home Sweet Home.” Without a Mother, where is the love and caring the children need? Without a Father, where is the stable home environment that’s needed?


As the children grow into adulthood, they quite naturally carry the traits and characteristics of their parents. How many times have I noticed the simple words and phrases that I’ve picked up from my Mother and Dad and repeated throughout my lifetime? How many times have I been talking to my sister or friends and noticed that I was talking or acting in ways that I’ve observed my parents behaving?


I’m now 48 and I can recall when I was in my 20’s and thinking how fortunate I was to not only still have both parents living, but they were still married. A lot of other people I knew either had at least one parent who was deceased or they were divorced.


Yes, despite the difficulties that I had while growing up, I was truly blessed to have had my two parents.


Do I have regrets now that they’re gone? Yes, I have a lot of them. There are many things I wish I could go back and change, but time only flows in one direction. Several times before my Daddy died, I had the thought of recording some of his personal history from his childhood on up to adulthood. But that was one of the many things that I kept putting off. Now it’s forever too late.


I hope somehow by keeping this blog I can honor both his and Mother’s memory. Perhaps in some way I can make up for some of the things that I neglected doing. I believe if they were both still here, they would say that I was the best son they ever had. In my opinion, I let them down many times.


In actuality, I’m a rather selfish person. Too many times I felt I should come first. Therefore neglecting the two wonderful people who gave me life. Now they’re both gone and all I have are memories.


I am a pessimist and I have a difficult time remembering the good times I had with Mom and Dad. I can recall too many times when they needed me and I was off doing something else that I thought was more important. I wonder how many times they sacrificed doing something for themselves when they chose to help me instead?


Mother has been gone for over six years. She left us on August 17, 2003. Daddy has been gone less than a month: October 23, 2009. I still mourn the loss of Mother at times. Daddy’s death just doesn’t seem real. It’s something that just wasn’t supposed to happen.


Despite the fact that he had a lot of health problems: Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Bipolar Disorder, etc. I still look at him as being my “rock and strong point” in my life. Oh, he could be so demanding at times, but he was still my dad.


How I wish I could’ve been there for him when he took his last breath, like I was there for Mother. But some things in life just don’t turn out the way you want them to. Perhaps it’s like a friend told me today. Maybe it turned out just the way God wanted it to turn out.


I chose the nickname “LoneWolf” both because I like wolves and because I tend to be a loner. I keep to myself a lot. Perhaps too much at times. Now, the word alone is very adequate. I still have my sister and we’re closer than ever before. I have very good friends who care about me and check on me regular. But first Mother left us and now Daddy is gone and I feel alone.


But they aren’t totally gone. They will live forever in our hearts and minds. Whenever we recall memories of them they will be here with us. Whenever we close our eyes and see them, they will be alive in our hearts.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Inspirational Quotes

  • "Today is not yesterday: we ourselves change; how can our works and thoughts, if they are always to be the fittest, continue always the same? Change indeed is painful; yet ever needful; and if Memory have its force and worth, so also has Hope." -- Thomas Carlyle
  • "I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self." -- Aristotle
  • "One must never lose time in vainly regretting the past or in complaining against the changes which cause us discomfort, for change is the essence of life." -- Anatole France
  • Never give in... never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force... never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. ~Winston Churchill
  • Problems are only opportunities with thorns on them. ~Hugh Miller, Snow on the Wind
  • "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." -- C. S. Lewis
  • I am bigger than anything that can happen to me. All these things, sorrow, misfortune, and suffering, are outside my door. I am in the house and I have the key. -- Charles Fletcher Lummis
  • The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.-- Dolly Parton
  • "If you take responsibility for yourself you will develop a hunger to accomplish your dreams." -- Les Brown
  • "We are like tea bags -- we don't know our own strength until we're in hot water." -- Sister Busche
  • "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." -- Elbert Hubbard

Quotes On Grief

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love." - Washington Irving

"He that conceals his grief finds no remedy for it." - Turkish Proverb

Grief is a tidal wave that over takes you,smashes down upon you with unimaginable force,sweeps you up into its darkness,where you tumble and crash against unidentifiable surfaces,only to be thrown out on an unknown beach, bruised, reshaped...Grief will make a new person out of you,if it doesn't kill you in the making.- Stephanie Ericsson

Tears have a wisdom all their own. They come when a person has relaxed enough to let go and to work through his sorrow. They are the natural bleeding of an emotional wound, carrying the poison out of the system. Here lies the road to recovery. - F. Alexander Magoun

Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see. - Helen Keller

So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.
Helen Keller

Grief and sadness knits two hearts in closer bonds than happiness ever can; and common sufferings are far stronger than common joys.
Alphonse de Lamartine

Favorite Helen Keller Quotes

  • When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.-- Helen Keller
  • Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.-- Helen Keller
  • The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.-- Helen Keller
  • No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.-- Helen Keller
  • I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.-- Helen Keller
  • Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.-- Helen Keller
  • All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming.-- Helen Keller

My Anniversary

Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Visitors

Registerd & Protected

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
LoneWolf - Find me on Bloggers.com

  © Blogger template 'Ultimatum' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP