Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Day My Life Changed

This entry was origianly written on 10/27/09:


The last few days have seemed so unreal. It's like I'm in a bad dream and waiting to wake up and find that everything is alright. But I know it's no dream and things are a long way from being alright. Last Friday afternoon (Oct. 23, 2009) , my dad passed away very suddenly and unexpected.

I had talked to him several times that day. Friday morning he sounded rather up beat. That afternoon, I could tell that he wasn't feeling good. (The night before he had fallen and they took him to the ER. CAT Scan and X-Rays showed he was OK. The only thing was that the fall hurt his back.) He was in a lot of back pain and he complained of being very constipated. If we had only known the constipation was a symptom of a much greater problem.

The last time that I talked to Daddy was 4:05 PM. I had talked to his nurse a little earlier. She had given him a pain pill around 1:00PM and the next one wasn't due until another 12 hours. The nurses were in the middle of a shift change and they would give him some laxative as soon as they could.

About 5:50, his nurse called me. She said they had found Daddy a few minutes earlier. He was unresponsive and had no vital signs. The ambulance was taking him to the ER. To make a long story short, by the time my sister and I got to the hospital, our Daddy was already gone. I'm rather sure he was dead before he left the nursing home.

The coroner decided to perform an autopsy. They found that Daddy had hardening of the arteries around his intestines that had blocked his bowels. He had complained of constipation the day before, but not as bad as Friday. I don't fully understand how that ended his life, but one of our cousins who is a nurse, told us if it had been caught in time he could've had emergency surgery that might have saved his life.

To being with, my only regret was that I wasn't there with him when he died. If I had only known... Then yesterday I started wondering how much pain he was in when he took his last breath. I wondered what it was like for him when he died. I'm afraid that it wasn't a painless death.

The funeral was yesterday afternoon. When I got back home, it just didn't seem real. I thought that really wasn't my dad in that casket and if I called his phone he would answer. I'm sure that when the full effect hits me I will have a lot more regrets.

It's just my sister and me now.... And I feel alone...

Thankfully, there are people who have been here for me to lean on. My sister and I have pulled together for each other. My friend Calvin has been by my side ever since Friday night at the hospital. He says that's part of the program of AA. He says he considers me like a brother. I'm reminded of that verse, "A friend sticks closer than a brother". Perhaps Calvin is not only my best friend, but the brother I never had. I am so thankful for him. Of course my therapist has been very supportive.

They are not the only ones... The people from Daddy’s church, our relatives, even those we're not really close to.

All of these people help, but I suppose when it comes right down to it, each of us is left all alone with our own grief.

Even though my Dad is no longer with us, I will never think of it as our relationship is over. He will forever be in my heart and in my mind.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Inspirational Quotes

  • "Today is not yesterday: we ourselves change; how can our works and thoughts, if they are always to be the fittest, continue always the same? Change indeed is painful; yet ever needful; and if Memory have its force and worth, so also has Hope." -- Thomas Carlyle
  • "I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self." -- Aristotle
  • "One must never lose time in vainly regretting the past or in complaining against the changes which cause us discomfort, for change is the essence of life." -- Anatole France
  • Never give in... never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force... never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. ~Winston Churchill
  • Problems are only opportunities with thorns on them. ~Hugh Miller, Snow on the Wind
  • "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." -- C. S. Lewis
  • I am bigger than anything that can happen to me. All these things, sorrow, misfortune, and suffering, are outside my door. I am in the house and I have the key. -- Charles Fletcher Lummis
  • The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.-- Dolly Parton
  • "If you take responsibility for yourself you will develop a hunger to accomplish your dreams." -- Les Brown
  • "We are like tea bags -- we don't know our own strength until we're in hot water." -- Sister Busche
  • "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." -- Elbert Hubbard

Quotes On Grief

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love." - Washington Irving

"He that conceals his grief finds no remedy for it." - Turkish Proverb

Grief is a tidal wave that over takes you,smashes down upon you with unimaginable force,sweeps you up into its darkness,where you tumble and crash against unidentifiable surfaces,only to be thrown out on an unknown beach, bruised, reshaped...Grief will make a new person out of you,if it doesn't kill you in the making.- Stephanie Ericsson

Tears have a wisdom all their own. They come when a person has relaxed enough to let go and to work through his sorrow. They are the natural bleeding of an emotional wound, carrying the poison out of the system. Here lies the road to recovery. - F. Alexander Magoun

Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see. - Helen Keller

So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.
Helen Keller

Grief and sadness knits two hearts in closer bonds than happiness ever can; and common sufferings are far stronger than common joys.
Alphonse de Lamartine

Favorite Helen Keller Quotes

  • When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.-- Helen Keller
  • Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.-- Helen Keller
  • The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.-- Helen Keller
  • No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.-- Helen Keller
  • I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.-- Helen Keller
  • Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.-- Helen Keller
  • All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming.-- Helen Keller

My Anniversary

Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Visitors

Registerd & Protected

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
LoneWolf - Find me on Bloggers.com

  © Blogger template 'Ultimatum' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP